Saturday, March 18, 2006

A Hidden Treasure...


Yesterday I was looking for a quote and I pulled a book off the shelf that I hadn't looked at in a very long time. It was The Quotable Women (a fun book) and out fell a few mini-postcards my best friend gave me our senior year of college and this print that a friend from the art department had given me. I had almost forgotten about the print and the friend.

I had gotten to know this girl in my printmaking studio my junior year. She was a year or two older than I, married (which was a foreign concept at the time), and nice to be around. I can't say that we got to know each other really well...but I always thought we could have. We chatted about printmaking, she challenged my ideas and we had fun...not wild, crazy, partying fun. Just good conversation fun. The only other person that I can easily say I had this sort of relationship with is my very bestest friend from kindergarten, Makaylia.

So why is she a nearly forgotten friend? Well, sadly she is a faded memory. I can't even remember her name! I think it was Kate, but I am not 100% sure. I am pretty sure that her last name is Whitemere...only because she signed the back of the print. But even then it is a little hard to read. So how did we fall out of touch? I went to Manchester, England the next semester through our study abroad program. Kate (that is what I'll call her from now on) moved with her husband. I think I sent her a postcard from England...but I am sure I never heard back from her. Who knows if she even got it!

It makes me sad to have lost a potential friend...but things happen that are beyond our control. I do however have this little print (its 3 1/2" x 4") and another teeny tiny one somewhere (I need to find that one too!) that will remind me. Now I need to get it framed properly!!!

So here are the details of this rediscovered gem...it is a watercolor monoprint which (if I remember correctly) is part of a larger print that was done. Kate liked to do large monoprints and find the best parts compositionally and tear it apart. It is signed on the back and titled "under Glass."

No comments: