Friday, March 17, 2006

Crazy Amaryllis...



I almost forgot to post this! My crazy plant is finally blossoming!

My Mom gave me this amaryllis for Christmas about 5 years ago. I knew it was an odd plant beacuse what I actually recevied was the bulb kit...something you might find at a store and when I got the box home and opened it my crazy plant was already growing! Mind you it was in a box, gift wrapped and under the Christmas tree. And who knows how long it had been in the box.

Anywhoo...this bulb had already started growing and was nearly white and curled up inside the box. Crazy I tell you! I finally got it in the soil, near light and it bloomed! I was so excited. Unfortunately that was the last time I saw flowers...until now...five whole years later.

Believe me, I followed the instructions, kept it dormant off and on for a few years. I finally gave up on it ever blooming again so I just let it grow. When the leaves got too tall (about 3 foot high or so) I would cut them off and start again. This has lasted for about three years. Recently I noticed it did not grow back quite as fast. And then when it did grow back...low and behold there was a bud. Holy cow! So now the flowers are starting to open and it looks like I will have three giant crimson trumpets. Only two are open now, but the third is on its way.

All I can say is...I am stunned. I am not sure why it is flowering now, but hey, it is lovely! I'll try the directions again. Hopefully I won't have to wait another five years for this crazy amaryllis to bloom.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Wow, that is beautiful!! Mine haven't bloomed yet but they do have buds on them. I live in Florida so mine grow in the garden.